Nebraska weather is unpredictable and its winters can be brutal. It just snowed in the middle of October! Which means the snow could come back at any moment. Is your home ready to be buried under snow for the next few months?
If you aren’t sure what makes a home “ready” for winter, BDB Waterproofing is here to lend some helpful tips on how to winterize your home.
12 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Rake up dead leaves. Wet leaves can lead to mold, attract bugs, and rodents, and kill your grass come spring.
- Clean out gutters of debris.
- Replace furnace filters.
- Bring in any garden hoses.
- Remove any weeds or dead vegetation around the foundation to prevent rotting.
- Seal entry points.
- This includes: caulking windows, double check egress window covers, and seal any holes that could be used by rodents.
- Close and seal any cellar doors.
- If you have a chimney, make sure they are cleaned out before winter.
- Check your crawlspace for water damage or potential infestation.
- Double check that downspouts are at least 6 feet away from the home’s foundation
- Walk around the perimeter of your home and check for any cracks or holes.
- Small cracks can be repaired yourself if necessary,
- Call a specialist like BDB Waterproofing if you see serious foundation cracks or water in the basement.
No one wants to do any of these in the snow, so get them checked off your list as soon as possible!
If you do notice water in your basement or crawlspace, foundation cracks, or infestation in a crawl space, please reach out to us. With items like these, the longer you wait, the more expensive the repairs tend to be! It’s in your and your home’s best interest.